Mind Map Maker
Create a mind map in Excel! Brainstorm and turn ideas into action. You can connect and move boxes, add or remove branches and illustrate relations.
Nowadays, visualization of your ideas using charts has become more common to explain and support ideas. In addition, using more professional illustrations and useful tools is vital to clearly establish the concept. A mind map is an effective thinking tool that helps you brainstorm and generate ideas while making complex issues easy to understand.
This Mind Map Maker provides you with flexibility in creating new nodes or adding branches to your main idea. Besides that, you can move each idea element and connector freely to increase the functioning scope of the mind map. While you are doing this, the mind map helps you examine the relations and roots to see the big picture.
Mind Map Maker Template Features
This template allows you to create a Mind Map in two ways.
- You can input all your data into the table and then create a mind map diagram
- Graphically create a mind map with buttons and shapes without filling the data table.
Both of those methods are connected, so if you make changes in the table, they are reflected in the graph. On the other hand, the changes you directly execute in the chart will show up in the table too. With additional settings(buttons), the template allows you to customize your map according to your needs.
In the settings part of the template, you can rearrange the mind map settings such as chart type, layout, scale, colors, connector style, etc.
- Split Chart settings define whether the chart will be in split view (Y) or not (N). The direction will be useful in deciding the alignment of the map. You can select to create a chart either horizontal or vertical.
- Width and Height are the defining sizes of each textbox.
- The connector selection allows you to set the element style to connect the boxes. Besides that, you can select the shape type ( circle, rectangle, or rounded corners rectangle) and colors ( one color, many colors). If you select one color option, you can also choose the default color from the given options on the dropdown menu. In addition, you may customize the color to your liking after generating the chart.
- Numbering will be used to show or hide the “Node No.” on each box inside the mind map. Showing the node numbers can be useful for following the shapes when there are many of them.
- The Live Drawing option is to have a simultaneous redrawing of the chart when you make any changes on the table. You can turn it on or off, according to your needs.
In addition, there is a button named “Sort Table” on the top left corner. By using this button, the Node No. order on the table will be updated automatically. Independent of where you add the new nodes to the table, the template will sort the table according to the existing node numbers.
Mind Map Maker Buttons
(Re)Draw Button: With this button, you can draw or redraw the mind map based on the table input or your settings. You will use this button to create a fresh mind map or redraw the current map after changes. When you click, the template will draw the shapes in proper spots.
Update Table: You can use this button to update the table following your adjustments on the chart. For example; if you add a new node or parent to the chart by using the buttons, you should click the update table button. So the template will update the data input table based on the chart changes.
Add Node: Use this button for adding a child to the selected box. Please select its parent first and then click the add node button.
Add Parent: It creates the root (parent) boxes. The parent boxes are created as ‘stand-alone’ without any direct connection. If necessary, you can have more than one main idea by creating multiple parents. Also, you may connect them to other boxes with the ‘connect’ button later on.
Connect: You can add some additional connections between text boxes. First, select one box and click the connect button. Then you should select the second box and click the connect button again. The first selected box will be highlighted in bright colors for clear indication purposes.
Fix Connections: If you delete or disconnect some of the connectors, you can use this button to rearrange all the connections properly.
Clear: You can use this button to delete the chart. There are two options in terms of clearing, you will clear the mind map with the first click. And then if you click yes the input table will be cleared too. Please note that this action can not be undone.
Last but not the least, there are 3 options for exporting the chart. Users can export the chart in PDF, JPG, or PNG formats. You can also copy the chart o a PPT document for editing.
Mind Map Maker Features Summary:
- Brainstorm and generate ideas.
- Examine the relations and see the big picture.
- Informational notes included.
- No installation needed. Ready to use.
- Works both on Mac and Windows.
- Compatible with Excel 2010 and later versions.
- Includes VBA code and macros.