Decision Tree Template
Decision Tree Maker Excel Template to visualize the potential decision paths, their outcomes and probability. Move boxes around and style them!
A decision tree is a chart visualizing all possible decisions along with their potential outcomes. Decision tree generation is a widely used methodology to have an educated guess on the possible paths. As well as helping the decision-makers all around the globe calculate possibilities of important actions.
A decision tree can also be known as the tree diagram or the tree chart within organizations and can be used for projections and product/investment decisions even. Since decision trees are very powerful tools, many professionals leverage this methodology for assessing numerous options along with their probable outcomes.
Decision Tree Template Features
You may use the template from two different approaches:
- Enter all the data in the table and create the decision tree based on the data input. Do not forget to click the “Draw” button after changes.
- Use the interactive buttons to create a step-by-step decision tree by adding boxes.
These approaches are aligning together as the changes are reflected in each other. So, if you make changes in the data table these will be seen in the decision tree itself. On the other hand, the changes directly executed in the decision tree are updated in the table too.
The additional settings and the interactive buttons allow you to customize your decision tree, both in terms of structure and style.
An important point to keep in mind while using this tree chart maker is the usage of “ID” and “Parent ID” columns of the data input chart. If the specific case has no Parent ID it will be the starting point of the decision tree.
You can use the Label/Probability column not only for decision labels but also for final probability calculations per branch.
In the settings part of the template, you can rearrange the decision tree settings such as shape, colors, connector style, direction, live drawing, etc.
- Width and Height are the defining sizes of each textbox.
- Distance V and Distance H show the gap size between each shape.
- The connector selection allows you to set the element style to connect the boxes. In addition, you can select the shape type (circle, rectangle, or rounded) and colors (one color, many colors). If you select one color option, you can also choose the default color from the given options on the dropdown menu. In addition, you may customize the color to your liking after generating the decision tree diagram.
- Label and Main font size customize the font size you’d like to use in the tree.
- Direction will be useful in deciding the alignment of the tree. You can select to create a tree either horizontal or vertical.
- The Live Drawing option is to have a simultaneous redrawing of the chart when you make any changes on the table. You can turn it on or off, according to your needs.
You may decide to hide or show settings and instructions from the top right buttons of the template.
Your updated settings will be reflected in the tree after clicking the “Draw” button.
Decision Tree Maker Buttons
Draw: If you input, add, or change any data in the data table, use this button to generate or re-generate your decision tree diagram.
Clear: Clear button deletes the chart, in the second step it asks if you also want to clear the table. So you can start to build your chart from the beginning.
Export Button: Choose the format using scroll buttons on the right and export your decision tree. You may export to PDF, PNG and JPEG.
Add Node: To add a new node you need to first select its parent and then click the button.
Add Parent: Parent is the main idea, the root of the tree. Click to add one.
Fix Connections: If you delete or disconnect some of the connectors, or when you move the textboxes in another spot, click this button and all the connectors will be rearranged properly.
Sort Table: This button will sort your table by the branches, if you wish you can always sort your table also manually too.
Update Table: Whenever you create new nodes, they appear also in the dashboard table. But when you change the text inside the text boxes manually, click this button to update the text in the data table.
Decision Tree Template Features Summary:
- Follow informed and visualized decision paths
- Examine the possibilities and have a view of the greater schema
- Informational notes included
- No installation needed, ready to use
- Works both on Mac and Windows
- Compatible with Excel 2010 and later versions
- Includes VBA code or macros